Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of SJC Exchange. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using SJC Exchange, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions about SJC Exchange should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact PJI. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in SJC Exchange for anyone who violate these rules.
- You are required to provide complete and accurate information when registering for SJC Exchange, including name and verifiable email address. If there is a substantive change in your registration information, you agree to update your information. You may not transfer your account to others.
- Be kind and professional. Differences of opinions can make for educational and productive posts in SJC Exchange. We know there can be some “hot-button” issues in our field and certainly don’t want to avoid them. All we ask is that your conversations be productive and do not attack other community members. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- SJC Exchange is intended to be used for the helpful exchange of information between members. False, inaccurate, or intentionally misleading information is not helpful and is not permitted. Please be sincere in your SJC Exchange participation by only contributing content you know is accurate. Be mindful to respect the "closed" environment of this online community and do not forward messages to non-members.
- Don't post commercial messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, or other area where others might see it.
- Use caution when discussing products or services. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- You can make a request for personal information or activity to be deleted from the platform. However, anything included in email notifications cannot be edited or deleted once the email has been sent.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Certain community content, including published reports and recorded events, may be made available publicly to nonmembers in the interest of disseminating the body of knowledge of the Safety and Justice Challenge. Members may contact PJI at any time to request that specific content not be made available publicly.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
- All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
- You may not use the Community to gather information or data to support advocacy efforts without first obtaining our prior written authorization.
- You may not use the Community to communicate with potential participants in formal research of any kind, or to conduct market research, surveys, or academic studies without prior approval of the Pretrial Justice Institute.
DISCUSSION GROUP ETIQUETTE
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, and location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire community when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire community. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
- While we always want to encourage engagement within the Community, we ask that you refrain from posting about community rules, moderation, or other Community administrative related topics in the open forums.
- You may not harvest email addresses or other personal information from the Community. The Community’s success relies upon our ability to maintain members’ privacy.
THE LEGAL STUFF
This site is provided as a service for the members of SJC Exchange. PJI is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by PJI or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall PJI be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants PJI and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or implicitly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
PJI does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of PJI we will take all appropriate action. If you notice content within the community that does not abide by these guidelines or the Terms and Conditions, please report it using the "Mark as Inappropriate" button.
PJI reserves the right to limit or terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We respect your privacy. Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and email address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below. We may share the personal information we collect through this site with the following parties:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that provide funding for SJC Exchange and/or perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that host our database and help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Your personal information may be transferred to another entity (either an affiliated entity or an unrelated third party) in connection with a merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar corporate event. If such a transfer were ever to occur, the acquiring entity’s use of your personal information will still be subject to this Policy.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us link.
All postings must be made in the name of an individual vs. a generic (anonymous) account.